Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Family Monopoly

This post is completely true, no analogies needed but also totally inspired by one of my favorite bloggers, bluzdude.

He commented on my last post that I needed to stop blogging about family members because pretty soon I was going to run out of chess men and have to move onto Monopoly pieces.

He's right. In fact with just the family members I have living in my house I have run out of white chess men.

But I do love the idea of moving onto Monopoly pieces.


As you may remember, I have a notoriously bad memory, but as bad as it is for things that happened yesterday, it's even worse for things that happened when I was a child.

I do however remember that my father (who incidentally was an asshole and a half), loved to play board games, and often included my older sister and as I got older, sometimes me.

As a parent, I now understand that playing board games with children is torture. And so understanding I have decided that either my father really loved board games and had no one else to play with or had multiple personality disorder and one of his personalities was an amazing parent with a tremendous amount of patience.

Either way, we played board games: stratego, sorry, risk, clue and most especially monopoly.

However, by the time I was old enough to play the games had been going on for some time and my sister and father had their favorite colors or pieces. For example, it wasn't until Clue Master Detective came out that I got to be Ms. Scarlet (but only because my sister was Ms. Peach), before that I was Mrs. White, and in Monopoly I was the Shoe or the Wheelbarrow, because my sister was always the Scottie and my father was always the Horse.

I was so jealous of those little game pieces. I don't think there was anything else of hers that I wanted so badly, and she had some pretty cool stuff.

I liked her other things, but that damned red Ms. Scarlet piece was the center of my universe everytime we played Clue and I always wanted her to be the character guilty of murder. And during Monopoly that fucking Scottie bought Boardwalk and Park Place before I even got out of jail.

In some ways this is the very reason that I'm so glad I've got a boy and a girl. They never fight over Ms. Scarlet.

Instead they fight over other things.

Sibling rivalry is a bitch.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to help, my Queen.

    I have always loved board games... we used to play all those that you mentioned. I always preferred to be Col. Mustard in Clue, and use either the shoe or the horse in Monopoly. The shoe had the neat little handle, which was great for the game, but I wouldn't want to walk around with one on my shoes.

    ReplyDelete

It's your move..